Monday, October 11, 2010

High Calorie Decor

The magical candy bowl. Somehow the calories from the candy bowl *Poof* magically disappear. I don't know how many times I've heard from clients, "I did everything you said, I wrote down EVERYTHING I put in my mouth...SOMEHOW I'm just not losing weight". Or this one...(this one's good)... "I don't have ANY idea how my blood sugar got that high". Yeah, yeah, okay. It only takes me a little querying (digging) to find... dah dah dah daaaaahhhhh - the candy bowl! For some, its the mixed nut bowl. When I say "keep track of everything you put in your mouth" I don't just mean the things you sit down and eat with a fork or things that take multiple bites to complete. I mean everything that passes by your teeth that contains calories.

I decided recently to make my famous...and by famous I mean no one knows of this trailmix but me, but it sounds cool right? Anyway, every fall I make a trailmix with dark chocolate, dried pineapple pieces, dried cherries, almonds, walnuts etc etc. The colors just look so "fallee" (yup, my word). Healthy? Absolutely. Pretty? Oh so pretty. Low calorie? Not in the least. It is the perfect example as to why we don't keep candy bowls or trailmix bowls or cookie dough or other sweets in our home (or especially not on the counter, in eye sight or arm's reach whatsoever). Whether I wanted it or not, every time I went by the darn thing I was coerced (and I do mean "coerced", audible voices even) to take some. I DO think I burned more calories from my numerous trips BACK off the couch to get some more. Only the dietitian starts to feel guilt over too much trailmix, sheesh. Anywho. Moral of the story: food, especially yummy, high calorie food, needs to be kept in cupboards and for some, better yet - at the store.

For you work-a-holics out there, "I keep some candy in my desk for low blood sugar or a pick-me-up in the late afternoon" Or "its on my desk for my clients." If you're getting drained by the end of the day - go get a real snack, not a mini candy bar you need to "sneak". Do your clients (and yourself) a favor, offer a sugar free mint or gum. Trail mix and candy is fine, in a controlled situation, not a grab and go one. I promise you, you're eating more than you think. ONE...oh who am I kidding...TWO handfuls of almonds a day - because you know you don't just do it once - can be about a pound in a little over a week if you're already getting your day's worth of calories from your meals. Do yourself a favor, put the bowl away and get it out of your desk.

By the way, pine cones, leaves and gourds are much lower-calorie fall decor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment