So, the Holidays are here. This is when everyone stands me up for Nutrition appointments and typical dinner conversation with the Dietitian includes... “for real, how do I drop 10 lbs by the Holidays?” ummmm, Spanx? lol.
So here it is, A Transparent Dietitian’s preferred, quick Holiday/Wedding fix to, “just tell me how to get it off.”
*drumroll please* “Eliminate Anything White.” Yup, that’s white sugar (and anything containing it), white flour, white potatoes, white pasta etc. (many throw in banana too, which DOES happen to be a high-er calorie fruit, but is much like a sweet potato in that it has fiber and a ton of nutrients. So I wouldn’t put this on the essential list, unless you know you consume massive amounts of banana :) ). I would add to the diet (although not white) the elimination of fruit juice and the limiting of milk/yogurt to 16 oz a day (non-fat), but not eliminating.
I like this method because its a great jump start, that will hopefully continue into the New Year, you can do it FOREVER, and always lighten up a little as needed for special occasions, without “throwing in the towel” completely. There’s also no need for damage-control when you’ve reached your goal (Atkins), you rarely have to back-track (weight wise) to re-enter “eating” civilization (because you never leave it), and after “getting used to it,” most can stick to it better than any fad out there.
The key to weight loss IS calories, BUT, we typically over-eat and incessantly snack on the “white/refined” things. Okay, not typically, ALWAYS! (i.e. cakes, cookies, pies, chips, sodas/sweetened teas and coffee drinks, white bread, crackers, pasta etc). I cannot tell you how often I get, “I just eat too much fruit, that’s my problem.” Baaaahahahahaha, no, I promise, that’s not your problem. Its the other things you’re ignoring and sneaking, that apparently don’t exist if eaten after 10pm or are in the form of a drink.
I have a brother in law who has had great success with this. Using the “Better Plate" as a guide (below), you are not eliminating any major food groups, can sufficiently fuel your body, and cut out the “triggers” that not only bring on extra fat, but extra water and bloating as well. All the while, increase essential (typically missing) nutrients like whole grains, antioxidants and fiber in the process - all good things. If you want to tighten the belt even more, you can eliminate ALL grains and still get sufficient carbs and nutrients from milk/yogurt, fruit, beans/lentils and sweet potato, this happens to be my preferred method - no non-sense!
Note - start it now - shed a little weight and water - then lighten it up from Thanksgiving through New Years. Few things bother me more than someone who says... "no thanks, I’m dieting," at the Thanksgiving table. No pity. There are 11 other months of the year to cut calories and shave pounds than the most FUN month to eat in. It doesn’t mean go over board, with permission to be gluttonous for a month or so - but no restricting either. If you can maintain your weight through the Holidays and not feel deprived - job well done.
May the force be with you, and Steven, thanks for the inspiration, great job!


No comments:
Post a Comment