Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Fridge - Part 1

So, 1 anniversary getaway, 2 sick babies, 1 stomach flu, 1 out of town music thang with the hubby and a whole lot of catching up later...some staples in my fridge part 1…

Skim milk – essential. Post-workout recovery drink. Loaded with nutrients, easy protein/carb mixture for blood sugar. Mixed with Chocolate it can persuade the most stubborn of 2 yr olds to do juuuust about anything and cereal is just not the same without it. There are two things I get the most comments about and feel I “defend” often because of all the misinformation and non-scientific “research” (AKA opinion and ulterior motive driven vomit – yeah, I just said vomit), milk and artificial sweeteners. I don’t have the patience or time to talk about artificial sweeteners right now, plus, they’re not in my fridge – so here’s my word on Milk (incase you care). Pure, pasteurized, non-organic, non-fat cow’s milk: I’m assuming you’re reading this blog because you’re somewhat interested in my reasoning for such stringent, dare I say controversial bovine contributions to our complete nutrition, well, in the smallest “nut shell” this long-winded female can muster…

There’s more evidence to lend early puberty in girls to the dramatic rise in pediatric obesity (puberty can occur sooner if a girl is overweight) and higher consumption of soy formula/soy products than to milk. Milk has always contained a very small amount of BST (the cow-specific hormone in milk), or the synthetic form (rBST) to increase milk production – ALWAYS. Girls today, hands down, drink LESS milk than their mothers did. Now I’m no statistician but… well, I think you got it. Treated and non-treated milk has the same amount of the hormone and roughly 90% is killed in pasteurization (FYI what’s left is broken down and made inactive in the gut). All milk is tested for antibiotics and pesticides (pesticides that may have been used to treat the food they’ve been fed); with its strict safety standards milk is among the most highly regulated and safest foods available at the grocery store. Now, “Organic” has to do with the treatment of the cow and the food it was fed. If you can afford buying organic consistently – organic is just fine. I prefer to save my money for things myself (more like, my very little children) come in direct contact with, like produce etc. instead of trace amounts that you may vicariously get in milk – your prerogative. Now, if I can foresee some comments I may get… No, Soy is not the same but some soymilks are fortified with Calcium, behind other dairy products, goat’s milk, some vegetables and fortified items, its a distant 5th and always organic – another blog, another time. Pasteurized milk is unsafe and most definitely NOT okay to give your children in any capacity – I liken this to Russian Roulette by the way – it MAY have more nutrients since it has not been heated to such high temperatures to kill the bacteria…but, at what cost – seriously? And the ONLY difference in whole vs. skim vs. 1% vs 2% is the amount of saturated fat and calories – its like putting chicken broth in the fridge and skimming off the lovely fat that has accumulated in the fridge over night – mmmm. What’s left is 1%/2% and when done again – Skim. If it’s a taste thing…well – that’s YOUR problem, and your arteries, make it work. Lastly, there are those that like to argue that, “we are the only species that drinks milk past weaning…” Well, we’re also the most intelligent species; the only ones fighting cancer and aids. My opinion, my research readings, aaaaand my blog.

Butter – another controversial topic – oh I can already see the emails. We choose to do real butter – ingredients being cream, sometimes salt and cultures - In moderation – oh of cooouurse. I try try try to substitute olive, canola or peanut butter in all my recipes for better fat. But all fat has the same calories and calories/gram (9). I also have canola/butter/whipped so ½ good fat and less calories because its whipped. I use Pam spray for grilled cheese and anything else I can pan fry without a pool of fat, when you just need to keep food from sticking. A lot of recipes (like cookies) even taste good with peanut butter instead (remember peanut butter is a good fat – high calorie – but GOOOOOD fat – hgmm hgmm - eaten in heaven)

BUT, alas, sometimes “it” just calls for butter. All food has chemical properties, I’ll spare you details, needless to say, some things don’t bake “right” without butter, you lack a certain, how you say… “crispiness” and sometimes a specific taste - if you’re confused as to which items you should use only butter, consult your husband ☺. That “crisp” and specific taste needs to be reserved for special occasions, perhaps Holidays (like the actual DAY, not the entire 2 months before), and when you decide to go with Paula Dean’s recipe because you just need to get it right the first time – been there, definitely “done that”, I understand – not a daily occurrence!!

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment