Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Are you willing?

So I’m going on 4 months post baby 3 and I’m happy to report little breathers from “survival mode.”  I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen more and I’m excited about new ways to incorporate flax, almond meal, veggie puree, steel cut oats, walnuts and quinoa into our diet - yup - still a nutrition nerd.  I thrive off of this stuff.  Alas - the “convenience” foods have been almost completely weeded out, and the squeezies and granola bars are dwindling daily (wow, the food budget likes that).  Don’t get me wrong, life is still crazy. In fact, I’m only writing this now, because my husband and I have decided I’ll be working away from home even less.  SO - my house is a pig-sty but I’m alone right now while my older two are at Mother’s Day Out.  BTW, God bless MDO - so I can stay IN and regain sanity. 
I felt the need to write today because I have to ask... are you prepared to take drastic measures to get out of survival mode?  Most of us never emerge.  And its no way for you, or your family, to live day in and day out.  In fact, a mentor of mine once said, “Something will always suffer.  You can’t give 100% in every area of your life, that’s just simple math.”  So you’re amazing at your job and you’ve got dinner on the table every night - how’s your spiritual walk?  Your health?  How many meds ARE you on?  How’s your marriage?  Sex life with your spouse?  Ooooh I went there.  
Okay, you’re already rolling your eyes... “Well, must be nice for you, but I HAVE to work.”  Or, “You only have 3 kids, I’ve got 5!”  Yes, I get it, we all have excuses as to why our lives are more hectic than others’.  I’m not denying the fact that your life may suck.  I’m asking if you’re willing to do something drastic for you and your family’s health - spiritual and physical.  For some of you its freeing up time to prepare good food.  For some, its having the extra money for better foods (i.e. walnuts are stinkin’ expensive).  Yes, you can eat healthy on a limited income - but it sure is tough (and getting tougher) to go above and beyond these days (i.e. incorporating superfoods and exotic grains etc... that have been shown over and over to be so powerful).  Perhaps you could purchase a juicer or blender - juicing is an excellent way to incorporate more fruits and veggies we’re ALL missing.   
By the way - it’ll be different for each of us.  And it may involve numerous steps.  But, “resolve” only gets you so far, sometimes changes have to be BOLD.  
With the addition of our newest little guy, and elimination of more hourly income, I’ve switched to cloth diapers, in order to afford the good quality ingredients I insist on exposing my family to each month.  Honestly, I wish I had started cloth-diapering with my first!  Less time away and preparing kids for childcare is also helping me to focus on my fitness and my time with God - well worth the budget cut.  Somehow we can always find time and/or money for what we really want or find important.  Where there’s a will, there’s a way right?  What is it going to take for you to place the priority in your life back on your spiritual walk with God as your FIRST priority, then your family and then your nutrition/fitness (BTW, yes, this last one, while not as important as the first two, can dramatically influence them for the better). These things can’t get your remaining 10%. It may be something DRASTIC, and it may be the best change you’ve ever made - even if it involves dunking crappy diapers - ugh ;)   

No comments:

Post a Comment