So, when exactly did calorie free, fat free, sugar free and tasteless become healthy anyway? You need calories to survive right? So why force yourself to eat trash you don’t enjoy. A woman in my office this week says she eats a Nutrigrain bar for breakfast – and because it’s title is nutri and grain its automatically healthy… (another blog, another time, trust me there’s enough ignorance to keep me writing forever!). Marketing at its finest right there. So, moving on… She eats a 100 calorie pack for a snack and states “I do good until I get home…” Where she proceeds to tell me of the binge she had from about 5:30 on. What exactly classifies starvation as doing good!? I hear it ALL the time. ALLLLLL the time. Of the roughly 200 calories she spent before 5 pm she got filler and sugar and was tired and cranky. Picture, if you will, a HUGE wall that you have to move, now, bend down, and pick up 5 or 6 pebbles and LAUNCH them at the wall. That’s a 100 calorie pack, the wall is your hunger, accomplish much? Does your food have purpose? I should write a book on that :). No wonder you binge when you get home, you're starving!
Take low-fat (“healthier”) peanut butter (this one really cheeses me off). You’re eating peanut butter FOR the fat (and protein). Why change a perfect thing? And yes, we will eat peanut butter in heaven – only peanut butter – others need not apply. Thank you Jesus. You need at least 1000 to 1200 calories MINIMUM throughout the day – let me repeat that –1000 to 1200 calories throughout the day. Starting with breakfast, hgmm hgmm, starting with breakfast. Plan on eating at least 250-400 calories at breakfast and at lunch, leaving room for planned snacks if needed. What you eat before 5:00pm drastically determines what and how much you eat after 5:00. Don’t set yourself up for failure. Limited for weight loss, yes, but the calories you are eating should be providing whole grains and/or fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, protein, fats (good fats more often), calming a craving or providing an experience – “nostalgia” if you will. If its not serving any of those purposes, why bother? Save your calories for something of purpose.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Does it count to say, "I'm gonna save my sugar grams for chocolate rather than pie"? :) Just kidding. btw- I must be doing something right because I've lost a few pounds and I'm not starving. Thanks for the help.
ReplyDeleteFirst time I've read your blog and I loved it! So glad I get to hear your blunt good sense again! Miss you and glad that you are doing well!
ReplyDeleteYAY!! well said!!
ReplyDelete