I'm a dietitian. If you want my accomplishments and resume regurgitated, you won't get it here. You also won't get perfect grammar or well thought prose. What you will get is transparency.
Why have I chosen to be transparent? Because although I'm a dietitian I am human. I love rich, decadent sweets, pizza and french fries (only amazing french fries). At the risk of bursting your bubble, maintaining a healthy weight is not a result of "good genes" entirely. An excess of calories in my diet coupled with a lack of physical activity will result in weight gain like everyone else - there is nothing miraculous about my body that keeps it healthy. Few things bug me more than when someone assumes that because I'm thin, I don't work at it. I DO. In fact I work very hard and face the same temptations as you. I have a sweet tooth. I have a hard time finding time and energy to work out. I have young children and a husband who love yummy not-so-healthy food. I'm Baptist - need I say more?! Everything we do is centered around food. Food is GOOD! It was meant (like all other gifts from God) to be enjoyed in moderation. What a dirty word: MODERATION. I can't eat perfectly 24/7 nor would I want to. You do what you can. Some call it 90/10 rule - well - I like to say I eat healthily most of the time and work out most days of the week. Like any other discipline, nutrition must be worked at, practiced, studied and tweaked to fit our lifestyle. I am a work in progress and gladly accept the challenge daily to make today a little healthier than the day before.
Instead of giving a how-to guide to weight loss and wellness like many have done before me, and many will do after me. I've decided to simply give you a glimpse into my life. All I ask is that you remember one simple thing... I may be a dietitian, but I'm human too. Imperfect by nature. A work in progress in EVERY area of my life.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love the transparency!! I totally agree and understand, can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog Heather! I really enjoy reading it. :D
ReplyDelete~Krystal