Monday, August 2, 2010

Today was a maintaining day...

Today was a maintaining day...
In our home we have maintaining, losing and gaining days. Most days are maintaining days unless our weight creeps up - then we go into losing range for a little while and when we feel comfortable in our skin - we go back to maintaining days. Gaining days...well...they're fun, what can I say? But they can quickly spiral out of control - beware.
Everyone's calories are different based on many variables. I am 5'3" and nursing an infant so I try to keep my calories between 1500 and 1800 on maintaining days depending on the intensity of my workout.
For what its worth, I had...
1/2 cup dry oatmeal made with water
1/4 cup walnuts and dried cherries mixed in
2 tsp brown sugar
coffee with 3 tbsp organic creamer and 3 tbsp sugar free hazelnut syrup with 2 splenda
430

10 pretzel crisps
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat (1 tbsp smuckers natural peanut butter and black currant jelly)
splenda sweet tea
400

2 and 1/2 pieces of regular crust cheese pizza
powerade zero
~800

Grand total - appx 1630
(managed to squeeze in 40 minutes on the elliptical and a 15 minute intense ab workout)

and YES I write down what I eat MOST days. When we guess our calories, we always guess too little - always. When you do write down your calories - be sure its everything you put in your mouth - everything. How many times have you been at the checkout counter of the grocery store and thought, wow, that's more than I thought? You have to pay for EVERYTHING you put in your cart. It ALL adds up, all of it. So track it, write it down! Where are your calories coming from?

One area for improvement - I needed veggies today - this has been difficult with nursing because it leads to a very gassy baby. I'm continuing to take pre-natal vitamins, which helps. But, my family needs vegetables and my 2 year old needs to see his mommy and daddy eating vegetables.

I also didn't leave room for my dark chocolate of which I try to get into every day somewhere.

Tomorrow's a new day with a fresh set of calories, energy and patience. Don't you wish our bank accounts refreshed every day?!

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome way to look at calories, energy and patience! I write stuff down when I see that my chub is becoming more and more comfortable showing its face in public! Yesterday I had coffee, chocosilk (green)banana shake, cucumber & tomatoes on oatnut barowsky's (no preservatives) bread, chicken on romaine topped with zuchini'n'summer squash soaked in balsamic vinegar with some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice....YUMM!!! It was a great food day!

    ReplyDelete