Our main filter is to, “know what we’re eating.” Simple is key, real food an added plus! Let’s start with some essentials in my pantry – prepare, it’s a long one…
Whole grain pasta – I prefer Barilla yellow box. Its full of fiber, protein and my men will eat it (and I dare say, enjoy it).
Whole grain flour and yeast for pizza dough in a pinch.
Tomato sauce – any variety with limited salt and sugar added (at the bottom of the ingredient list, if on at all), no high fructose corn syrup (why? because it doesn’t occur in nature and its something I can live without – so I choose to – end of discussion) and extra virgin olive or canola oil (NO OTHERS – I’m a stickler on my fats here). She doesn’t make her OWN sauce - NO! WHY? Tomato sauce is meant to be a “gimme”. Why complicate if we don’t have to?
Side Note: The pantry is a place for non-perishable storage and items for meals when you need something last-min. If the bulk of your daily food is this category, perhaps its time to do some re-arranging. In a perfect world, I’d buy ingredients meal by meal at the local, affordable, organic market on the way home from my afternoon at Starbucks and the spa where I’ve relaxed all afternoon as my children are thriving academically, emotionally and socially with our live in nanny at home - yeah, okay, as I change a stinky and move on…
Low-sodium canned goods: veggies, beans, tuna, chicken, fruit, because I’m from FL and am always prepared for Hurricanes (or ice storms as are apparently the case in Murray, KY).
Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter - the bigger the container, the better because it’s a source of “good fat”, and protein. Ingredients = peanuts (and some salt). With of course, berry preserves of some kind – ingredients of “berries” – imagine that. A good assortment of black, blue, ras, straw, currant, you name it – but simply berries and perhaps sugar and pectin – vit C for preserving is ok too – no shortage of antioxidants (or PB and Js here!).
Extra virgin olive oil for cooking, canola oil for baking and some (SOME) vegetable oil for those baked items my husband insist on anything else making it “taste funny” (i.e. brownies)
Always a jar of no sugar added applesauce (organic if its on sale), because its part of the “dirty dozen” and it can be added to any meal, used to bake with instead of oil at times and even used for the 7mo old in a pinch.
Fritos. They are my husband’s favorite. Are they a “healthy” food? No. But have you read the ingredients? Corn, corn oil and salt. Still follows our rule of knowing what’s in our food, and in moderation it can absolutely be included as part of a healthy diet, perhaps more importantly…YOU try being the husband of a dietitian! I don’t mess with the Fritos.
Kashi’s Peanut Peanut granola bars – in 140 calories they are low in sugar, and for a little bar a great source of whole grain, a substantial amount of fiber, protein and fat. A perfect snack, quick breakfast (or sent to the church nursery for your two-year-old's dinner –“mom of the year” – right here!).
Lastly for now, Cheerios. Plain Cheerios are a very low sugar, whole grain snack or breakfast and I’m convinced, its own food group for any two-year old. They can also easily be mixed with trail mix, granola or slightly more sugary cereals for less calories and sugar per serving. There are other things in my pantry of course – but these are my most of my “staples.”
(More to come)

Love the tips! So relieved that most of my pantry would be Heather-approved, and just need to check out the Kashi peanut bars.. although lately I've been making my own granola with pepitas and topping it with a little pumpkin butter (instead of apple butter) and some greek yogurt.
ReplyDeleteNow I have a question: What kind of easy foods can we feed our toddlers (besides cheerios)? I'm having trouble with "transitional food".. from purees to table food. There is still table food Lucas can't eat (like salads, etc) and I'd like to have some on-hand things, or prepare before hand and freeze, some good meals for him. :0)